Affectionately called "The Old Church", the building housing the Jacklin Arts & Cultural Center in Post Falls is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and has been a constant thread throughout the history of Post Falls. Its journey began as two separate churches that combined to become the pioneer town's centerpiece. It almost ended as an empty deteriorating building ready for demolition.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church, with Gothic Revival architecture, was built in 1890 at the corner of Sixth Avenue and Post Street in Post Falls. Frederick Post was a member of the parish and was responsible for the church choir. He also had his funeral here, at which time the Coeur d'Alene Tribe encircled arms outside the church to show their support and respect for Post. The Presbyterian Church, with Vernacular-style architecture, was built in 1899 at the corner of Second Avenue and Henry Street. After World War I, Post Falls had more churches than the town could support. The citizens of the area were encouraged to combine the two churches into one congregation. Drawn by horses, the two church buildings were moved and joined at their present location in 1921 at the corner of Fourth Avenue and William Street. The new congregation became the Community Presbyterian Church. The Church brought together a rich tapestry of people and became the central gathering place in the community.
After 70 years, the congregation of the Community Presbyterian Church decided to build a new church to the north. With no hope of preservation in sight, the interior of the church was being stripped when John Rodkey, in charge of dismantling the project, recognized the value of the building and halted the project.
The building stood abandoned for several years. Fortunately, the non-profit organization, Community Building Partners, Inc., was formed in 1998 and dedicated itself to the restoration and maintenance of this historic building in North Idaho. The group purchased the abandoned building and the land it sits on and renamed the structure - The Old Church.
With the help of talented architects, preservation groups and the people of the Post Falls area, Community Building Partners, Inc., has turned "The Old Church" into a thriving resource. Renamed to honor Susan and Duane Jacklin, who were so instrumental in spearheading the restoration project, The Jacklin Arts & Cultural Center in Post Falls is a venue for artistic and cultural events, musical performances, theater performances, movies, weddings, receptions, culinary classes, workshops, business conferences, education outreach and more.